Image from Martha Stewart
Yesterday I said that I don’t make resolutions…and I still don’t, but I also said that I was going to try to be more like Martha and follow as much advice as possible. I went to the Body and Soul section of Martha Stewart’s websites and the first article that popped up was, “10 Resolutions You Should Make Now.” So, instead of calling them resolutions, I’ll call them goals that Martha encourages me to incorporate into my life.
1. Eat more dark, leafy greens. I hate dark, leafy greens. I seriously do, but I’ve already started to make an effort to eat a salad with spinach leaves before dinner each night, so I guess this counts.
2. Enjoy omega-3 rich foods twice a week. This is something that I really need to do. I really enjoy eating salmon which is a good source of omega-3’s, but we couldn’t fix any fish dishes in our Brooklyn apartment unless we wanted our apartment to stink like rotten fish for a week. We’ve gotten away from eating fish dishes, but I’ll definitely add this to my list of goals.
3. Walk for a half hour a day. I need to be doing this anyways, because I have three dogs who all need daily exercise. Sometimes I do it, sometimes my husband does it, and sometimes we do it together. I’m going to make more of an effort to do it together and daily.
4. Breath deeply for five minutes a day. I get really uptight when I try to sit calmly, clear my mind and take deep breaths. I’ve never been able to get into the concept of meditation….but if Martha Stewart says…
5. Eat more quinoa. Eat more what? I would have to start eating it first to eat more of it. I guess it can’t hurt to try it.
6. Use more spices. I love using spices, so this won’t be hard.
7. Create deadlines. I do this on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. For instance, I’ve already scheduled my Martha recipes for the next two months, so I know exactly what I’m cooking each day. This way it’s harder for me to “forget.”
8. Eat a better breakfast and lunch. I definitely need to do this. My breakfast consists of a cliff bar and a cup of orange juice. I’m always hungry by 11:00 a.m. and I’m embarrassed to say I usually eat three servings of potato chips at about that time. For lunch I eat whatever I come up with which is usually a sandwich, microwaveable mac and cheese, or more chips.
9. Get more sleep. I’m way ahead of Martha on this one. Most days of the week I get at least 8 hours of sleep thanks to my fantastic husband who wakes up with the puppies in the middle of the night and lets me sleep. He knows that I’m not a pleasure to be around if I haven’t gotten my full 8 hours of sleep.
10. Choose one person to connect with. Unfortunately, I don’t get to spend as much time with friends as I would like to, because many of them live hours away in Richmond, DC and New York….so, I could definitely work on staying in touch better.